Gallery

Monday, 27 March 2017

Dreaming of Summer

While it yet again snows I have finished my most summery u.f.o.: a set of 6 placemats with a decidedly maritime/acadian feel.
12" x 18"
They are quilted with anchors and ropes.

Friday, 24 March 2017

Mug-rug "Coffee"

This is a project to usefully use up the last bits of these fantastic "coffee" prints. Now they are all gone :(
8" square
It would look lovely on a desk, and prevent coffee or tea stains on papers.....

Tuesday, 21 March 2017

Lobster Bibs

What better project to use this fabric than lobster bibs?
13" x 20"
These adult-sized clothes-protectors are fully lined and machine washable and dryable.

Friday, 17 March 2017

Jack's Chain

français ici


This baby quilt, a nine-patch variation, is from "Scraps organized to Perfection", I used only two fabrics.
It was surprisingly easy to piece (with occasional help from my seam ripper), but I found it difficult to calculate. Thankfully I am more of a let's-start-and-fix-it-later type of quilter....
48" x 59"

The quilting was done with stencils I had cut for other quilts.
The fabrics are cotton prints and cotton flannel, the batting is polyester.
corner quilting
the back


Wednesday, 28 December 2016

Another Hat

français ici

..... or if life gives you daughters who need hats, your hats, make yourself new ones.
This pattern is from Cheryl Coville, and I bought it, together with this slipper pattern, anno BPC (before personal computers), if not before the birth of my youngest children, who are hat-snatching adults now.
Cheryl's patterns are well written and true to size, which I found out when I tried the partially finished hat on. As I dislike tight things on my head I had sewn the largest size, 24", for my 23" noggin, which was too large.


First fabric choices, from Connecting Threads, which I found too much like Cheryl's, didn't showcase enough of my favourite fabric, and made me worry about any possible future fading of the blue fabric right next to the blue yarn.

Contrary to the instructions I quilted only the top and the batting - I used Insulbright as I had just received my order from Sew-Sisters and was reminded of it's many uses other than for potholders - and then made a flannel liner.  By adding 1/4 inch to the panel pattern sides and 1/2 inch to the bottom I could eliminate the sewing-the-inside-sashing-strip-by-hand part as well as binding the hat edge. The blue flannel is not a perfect match, but my reasoning is that the knit band hides it  completely.
I was prepared to take the hat apart and resew the sashing strips a smidgen (1 inch divided by 12) from the panel edges, but am very glad I tried it with the knit band sewn on before, as the hat fits very nicely.

The yarn is the lovely Gloss DK in Winter Night, 70% Merino Wool and 30% Silk, from Knitpicks. I used a whole 50g ball for the nearly 6 inch band, knit in the round on 3.75mm needles in a simple 1/1 rib, but the knit stitches are knit twisted (knit in the back) which makes them stand out more. I had to use a sewn cast-off since I had knit a bit too far (and did not want to tink a needle or two...). That is a nice technique to know for such a case, but I find it a bit fiddly compared to the usual knit bind-off.
I am elated that I finally used Cheryl's pattern, love my new hat, and fervently hope it is too big for my daughters.

Tuesday, 6 December 2016

Just one hat?

français ici

A young mother asked me for a hat for her 3 months old daughter, in grey/amethyste or yellow.
Anybody who surfs the web even just a little bit will see right away what a foolish demand that is. There are so many interesting patterns and tutorials that nobody can stop at just one hat......
without patterns, yarn Wool of the Andes Superwash from Knitpicks

modified from Schnabelina

pattydoo - ottobredesign
 The yellow hat is the reverse side of the pink one.
pattydoo

Tuesday, 28 June 2016

Special Order

français ici

This quilt is for a special little person. Her mother let me make whatever I wanted, but asked for some fabrics to be included in the design (piggies, footprint fabric, bright colours). At the start I was going to make nine-piece blocks for the animals' blankies - quilts on a quilt - but the prints would have been lost on the small pieces.
36"x 48"
The animals are cut from flannel and appliquéd with zig-zag stitching, their faces are machine stitched. Some squares are flannel, some are cotton and the white ground is a cotton/polyester blend. I think the mix makes it interesting for little hands to explore.

The play-mat is mostly from flannels, with a remnant of fleece and some cottons added:
42"
Here is the back, with my dog testing the slumber quality: