Gallery

Tuesday, 31 January 2012

My Village window quilt

This is my downstairs powder room window quilt. The background is made from my family's old jeans (those that were too far gone to be passed on). They were appliquéd on to each other from the bottom upwards with a simple zig-zag stitch, and any overlap was cut off from the back. I used up a lot of my blue threads.
The houses came from my pre-cut scraps - I am trying to get as well organized as Bonnie Hunter from Quiltville and I have quite a way to go, but it is encouraging to just be able to pull a couple of pieces out of my bins and jars when the whole cutting table is full!
While pawing through my bins I came upon a cow and some horses, so they got to live in my village as well. The greenish blob besides the pink house is supposed to a bush, it probably got a lot of cow manure to be so big. The house above it is inspired by a "punk" near and dear to me. Further up is a coffee shop without windows which would have covered up the cups and coffee pot so we'll just say that they have a really large picture window. 
The trees are supposed to be poplars, one of my favorite trees. 
I had to appliqué the houses etc. before assembling the background, but after getting everything in place. Then I covered the back with a dark-blue polyester/cotton to neaten it. 
I used Claire's Hidden Tabs to hang the drape on a sturdy rod fixed to a slim shelf, since the quilt is heavy and it is in a in-the-way location.
There is a small valance, pieced from the cut-off sides, which hides the hanging rod.
It was a fun project which makes me smile every evening when I open it. 37" x 63"

Voici la courte-pointe que je me suis fait pour la fenêtre de ma chambre de toilette.
Le fond est assemblé de morceaux de vieux jeans de ma famille (ceux qui étaient trop brisés pour être donné). Ils sont simplement appliqués un sur l'autre au point de zig-zag avec des restants de mes fils bleus, tout surplus était coupé de l'arrièrre.
L'étape avant était de "bâtir" mon village avec des tissus en coton. J'essaie de decouper mes restants en carrés et rectangles pour des futurs projets au lieu de tout les entasser dans mon bac à chutes, comme le fait Bonnie Hunter. Il était trés plaisant de pouvoir trouver des carrés tout prêts dans mes boîtes et boceaux, surtout vu que ma table de coupe était couverte de retailles de jeans.
J'y ai trouvé une vache et des cheveaux, à qui j'ai permis d'habiter dans mon village. Il y a aussi un maison "punk" pour quelqu'un qui m'est cher, ainsi qu'un café avec une trés grande vitre (autrement j'aurais dû couvrir les motifs de tasses et cafétière avec des fenêtres). La tache vert en bas est sensé d'étre une arbuste - probablement engraissé au fumier de vache puisqu'il est énorme- et les arbres sont supposés d'être des peupliers.
L'ouvrage une fois fini a était doublé d'une cotonade bleu foncé, et pour pouvoir la suspendre j'ai utilisé les attaches chachés de Claire, ce qui permet de bien degager la fenêtre durant la journée. L'ouvrage, qui me fait sourire à tous les soirs quand je l'ouvre, mesure 37" x 63" - 92 cm x 156 cm.


Dieser Quilt dient mir als Vorhang in der Gästetoilette und ist aus den Resten alter Jeanshosen meiner Familie genäht. Die verschiedenen Stücke sind einfach mit einem weiten Zick-Zack-Stich und blauen Fadenresten aufeinander appliziert worden - was überhing wurde anschließend von der Rückseite weggeschnitten.
Zuvor habe ich mein "Dorf" darauf appliziert. Ich versuche es Bonnie Hunter nachzumachen und meine Stoffreste in Quadrate etc. zuzuschneiden um sie für weitere Projekte zur Hand zu haben anstatt sie einfach nur in die Restekiste zu schmeißen, und es war ein Plaisir in meinen Schachteln und Gläsern zu kramen, vor allem da mein Schneidetisch voller Jeans war.
Es gibt da ein "Punk-"haus für jemanden der mir nahe steht, und ein Café mit einer sehr großen Auslage, denn sonst hätte ich die hübschen Motive mit Fenstern versteckt. 
Ich habe eine Kuh und Pferde gefunden und sie in meinem Dorf angesiedelt. Deren Mist hat wohl den Strauch (unten links) so groß wachsen laßen. Die Bäume sollen Pappeln sein.
Die fertige Arbeit habe ich mit mit einem Baumwoll/Polyesterstoff gedoppelt bevor ich Claire's versteckte Aufhänger angebracht habe. Sie erlauben es mir den Vorhang tagsüber gut zur Seite zu schieben.
Alles in allem war es ein erholsames Projekt (keine Nähte millimetergenau anzupassen) und es bringt mich jeden Abend zum Lächeln. Es mißt 92 cm x 156 cm.

No comments:

Post a Comment