Gallery

Wednesday, 1 February 2012

WIP Wednesday and a finish

This is obviously still the quilt from last week, even pretty much the same section I showed then, but a somewhat better picture with the background leaf pattern a bit more visible. I stumbled upon the revelation that a photo taken with the flash in a .dark room works better with my camera than anything I can achieve with my lights on.
l have quilted quite a bit during the week, but have not yet reached the half-way mark. Which is just as well as I am not yet decided if I will try to find a bunch of patterns to quilt each row of flowers differently, or whether I work the second half of the quilt as the mirror image of the first half.
The finish is this throw quilt (44" square) I made for a dear friend. I used 9 fat quarters from Sew-Sisters Bargain Lover's Club in a "disappearing 9-patch". p.s. i quilt has a very nice tutorial on this simple pattern. I added some black cat silhouettes for which I used my kid's stencils from way back when. I used wonder-under to stick the cats in place before appliqué-ing them with satin-stitch, and even so I had lots of problems with the small limbs and tails, especially going over the seams underneath. A machine with a stronger transport, pressing the seams open rather than to one side, or placing the motives on a patch rather than over intersections would all have helped. My choice, if there was something to choose, would be a better machine ;-).
The quilting is a all-over meander with hearts, and I used a nice flannel for the back.

Je travaille toujours à piquer la même courte-pointe que la semaine passée, et j'inclus la photo seulement car elle montre d'avantage le patron de feuilles que j'emploie pour le fond. Par chance j'ai decouvert que mes photos ont des meilleures couleurs et montrent plus de détails si je les prends avec le flash dans une pièce noir que si j'allume des lumières.
La deuxième photo montre une jeté que j'ai terminé pour une amie. Elle mesure 44" - 1.10m carré et est cousu 9 "fat quarters" (des 1/4 de verge de tissus coupés de travers) du Bargain Lover's Club de Sew-Sisters. Le patron employé s'appelle 9-pièce magique ou disparaissant et p.s. i quilt a des photos qui l'expliquent trés bien.
Des pochoirs d'enfants m'ont servis pour les appliqués. Je les avais collés à l'aide de wonder-under avant de les coudre tout autour au point de satin étroit, mais les petites pattes et les coutures ont posés des problèmes. Il aura fallu repasser les valeurs de couture ouverts au lieu d'une côté comme d'habitude et/ou placer les appliqués sur des carrés et non pas sur des intersections des blocks pour mieux faire.
J'ai utilisé une flanellette douce pour l'endos et piqué le tout d'un méandre accentué de petits coeurs.

Ich quilte natürlich noch immer (und wohl noch eine ganze Weile) an meinem großen Hexagonquilt. Dieses Foto zeigt ein bischen besser das Hintergrundmotif. Ich habe durch Zufall gefunden das Blitzaufnahmen im dunklen Zimmer eher farbtreuer sind und mehr Detaile zeigen....
Den Quilt im zweiten Foto habe ich für eine Freundin genäht. Er mißt 1.10 m im Quadrat und ist aus 9 Fat Quartern (quer geschnittene 1/4 m Stoffe) im "disappearing 9-patch" Muster gemacht. p.s. i quilt hat ein schönes Fototutorial das es genau erklärt.
Die Katzen sind Motive aus meiner Kinder Malbücher. Ich habe sie mit wonder-under auf dem Untergrund befestigt bevor ich sie mit einem schmalen Satinstich umstickt habe. Die kleinen Pfötchen haben mir aber doch viel Schwierigkeiten bereitet, als auch die Nahtzugaben unter ihnen. Ich hätte sie offen anstatt wie üblich zu einer Seite büglen sollen, und/oder die Kätzchen anders plazieren sollen.
Der Rücken ist Baumwollflannel, und ich habe es mit Meandern und Herzchen gequiltet.

1 comment:

  1. Don't you just the Sew Sisters Bargain Club:) I really like the cats on the second quilt but they must have been very difficult to do...well done.

    ReplyDelete