Gallery

Wednesday, 28 March 2012

Handmade spring

Since spring went back to wherever it came from and we are back to cold and more snow and enough wind to scare my dogs from going outside I've decided to take matters into my own hands and sew some tulips. I was inspired by these pictures (the blog is in Portuguese and she doesn't give instructions). I found some instructions on another site, without images and I think there are some errors, too, so I'll try and show how I made them.

Puisque le printemps est retourné d'où qu'il est venu et nous sommes de nouveau pris avec des temperatures froides, de la neige et assez de vent pour épeurer mes chiens j'ai decidé de me coudre des tulipes en attendant que les miennes fleurissent dans le jardin.
J'étais inspiré par ces photos. Le blog est en portugais, et elle ne donne pas d'instructions. J'en ai trouvé sur un autre site, mais sans illustrations, et il me semble avec des fautes, alors je vais vous montrer comment je les ai faits.

Da der Frühling wieder dem Winter Platz gemacht hat habe ich mir ein Tulpensträußchen genäht. Inspiriert wurde ich von diesen Fotos. Der Blog ist in portugiesisch, und sie gibt keine Anleitung. Ich habe welche auf dem Web gefunden, aber ohne Bilder, und ich glaube mit Fehlern, also werde ich hier zeigen wie ich die Blumen gemacht habe.

 I start with a fabric rectangle 3" by 5", folded in half so it measures 3" by 2.5" and sew a 1/4" seam along the 3" edge:
Chaque fleur prends un rectangle de 3" x 5"= 7.5cm x 12.5cm. Le plier avec l'envers à l'extérieur et coudre à 1/4" du bord de 3"/ 7.5cm.

Eine Blüte  wird aus einem Rechteck von 7.5cm x 12.5cm genäht. Eine .5cm breite Naht entlang der kürzeren Seite formt daraus einen Schlauch.
 
The next step is pressing the seam open (I do that over an empty spool) and a 1/4" fold on one open side to finish the upper edge:
J'utilise une bobine vide comme surface de repassage pour ouvrir la couture. Un bord est fini en le pliant 1/4" au fer.
Ich habe die Naht über eine leere Spule offen, und dann eine lange Seite .5cm nach innen gebügelt.

 
I used a bamboo skewer as a stem. The skewer is slipped into the inside-out flower which is then tied around it. A drop of glue would be good here.
Turn the flower up over the skewer, fill it 3/4 full with fiberfill and tack the opening (which has the pressed edge) at two points. Done!

J'ai utilisé un bâtonnet de bambou comme tige. Le bord non-fini y est attaché. Il ne reste que virer la fleur à l'endroit, de la bourrer au 3/4 (j'ai utilisé des restants de bourre à courte-pointe) et de taquer le bord supérieur à 2 endroits. Fini!
Ich benutze Bambusstäbchen als Blumenstiele. Die unbehandelte Kante wird darum festgebunden, ein bißchen Klebstoff wäre hier auch gut. Dann die Blüte hochstreifen und damit die rechte Seite nach außen wenden. Zu 3/4 mit Quiltwatteresten ausstopfen und die umgebügelte Kante mit zwei Stichen überkreuz schließen. Fertig!


 

6 comments:

  1. These are really vry cute. Thanks for showing your process. I'd like to try some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good idea....we need a bit of spring here too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh! I am pineing for warm spring days, we have been so gloomy and drab for so long, some bright red and yellow would surely lift up the spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spring has also decided to leave us for more of winter so these tulips are a nice fresh reminder of lovely weather and lovely bright flowers , thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete