Gallery

Thursday, 15 November 2012

How I make Postcards

Since I have been asked to show the other side of my postcards I have taken this picture which shows my "old" backs, hand drawn with permanent pens after completion, as well as the "new" backs stamped with a commercial stamp. Those I stamp before assembly.
Now I use a special interfacing like this , but to start I used two pieces of any heavy fabric (the good parts of used jeans are fine) to give body to my cards. I actually prefer this method since I can use one interfacing piece as stabilizer and work my appliqué etc. over it. 
On the second piece I fused with wonder-under the back side (makes writing on it easier) before assembling both halves with two turns of zig-zag stitch (allows me to space the stitch a bit more, which prevents jams under the machine). And that's all there is to it!
On m'a demandé comment je fais mes cartes, alors voici:
Maintenant j'utilise une entre-doublure thermo-collante des deux côtés comme celle-ci, mais pour debuter j'utilisais deux morceaux de tissus fermes (des parts peu usées de vieux jeans font parfaitement l'affaire). Une pièce me servait de stabilisateur en dessous de mon appliqué etc., sur l'autre je collais, avec une toile thermo-collant telle le wonder-under, le devant de ma carte que je dessinait (avec des feutres permanents) une fois tout était fini.
Maintenant j'ai un étampe commercial, et j'étampe mon tissu avant l'assemblage.
Je finis mes cartes avec deux tours de zig-zag. Faire deux passes me permet de mettre le point un tantinet plus espacé, ce qui évite des accrochages peu esthetiques.

Da man (frau) mich gefragt hat wie ich meine Karten mache hier eine kleine Beschreibung:
Jetzt benutze ich dieses als Versteifung, aber zu Beginn verwendete ich zwei Stücke steifen Stoff (gute Partien alter Jeans sind fein). Ein Stück diente als Unterlage für das Appliqué etc., auf das zweite Stück klebte ich (mit wonder-under) die Adress-Seite. Bevor ich meinen Stempel gefunden hatte habe ich diese Seite als letztes mit permanenten Filzstiften aufgezeichnet.
Beide Hälften der Karte werden dann zusammen gelegt und zweimal mit Zick-Zackstich umnäht. Mit dieser Methode kann ich meinen Stich etwas weiter einstellen und bleibe weniger oft "hängen".

5 comments:

  1. Regina, thanks for the explanation as to how you do your postcards.I am curious , how did you use the old jeans without them showing through? I use craft tex and really like that for the body but recently had bought fast 2 fuse and it is great but does not have the body . Also where did you get that great stamp, I have looked but without success?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Regina...thanks for visiting. How are you anyway.....been ages!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for showing us the backside! I too am curious about the blue jeans. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your postcards are quite lovely. I especially liked the dogs and the birds .... lucky are the friends who receive these.

    ReplyDelete