Gallery

Wednesday, 28 December 2016

Another Hat

français ici

..... or if life gives you daughters who need hats, your hats, make yourself new ones.
This pattern is from Cheryl Coville, and I bought it, together with this slipper pattern, anno BPC (before personal computers), if not before the birth of my youngest children, who are hat-snatching adults now.
Cheryl's patterns are well written and true to size, which I found out when I tried the partially finished hat on. As I dislike tight things on my head I had sewn the largest size, 24", for my 23" noggin, which was too large.


First fabric choices, from Connecting Threads, which I found too much like Cheryl's, didn't showcase enough of my favourite fabric, and made me worry about any possible future fading of the blue fabric right next to the blue yarn.

Contrary to the instructions I quilted only the top and the batting - I used Insulbright as I had just received my order from Sew-Sisters and was reminded of it's many uses other than for potholders - and then made a flannel liner.  By adding 1/4 inch to the panel pattern sides and 1/2 inch to the bottom I could eliminate the sewing-the-inside-sashing-strip-by-hand part as well as binding the hat edge. The blue flannel is not a perfect match, but my reasoning is that the knit band hides it  completely.
I was prepared to take the hat apart and resew the sashing strips a smidgen (1 inch divided by 12) from the panel edges, but am very glad I tried it with the knit band sewn on before, as the hat fits very nicely.

The yarn is the lovely Gloss DK in Winter Night, 70% Merino Wool and 30% Silk, from Knitpicks. I used a whole 50g ball for the nearly 6 inch band, knit in the round on 3.75mm needles in a simple 1/1 rib, but the knit stitches are knit twisted (knit in the back) which makes them stand out more. I had to use a sewn cast-off since I had knit a bit too far (and did not want to tink a needle or two...). That is a nice technique to know for such a case, but I find it a bit fiddly compared to the usual knit bind-off.
I am elated that I finally used Cheryl's pattern, love my new hat, and fervently hope it is too big for my daughters.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy the hat pattern worked for you (It's beautiful!), and I'm happy, too, that it lives on. :) Kudos to you for doing it in your own way. Recently, I had a request, and the pattern is now reincarnated for sale on Craftsy. And now, I feel old! :)
    Cheryl (Grandma Coco)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I'd never seen a quilted hat, before. I love the idea of using the Insulbrite as a liner. Great job and a very warm looking hat.

    ReplyDelete